2How long, O LORD, must I call for help? But you do not listen!
“Violence is everywhere!” I cry, but you do not come to save.
3Must I forever see these evil deeds?
Why must I watch all this misery?
Wherever I look, I see destruction and violence.
I am surrounded by people who love to argue and fight.
4The law has become paralyzed,
And there is no justice in the courts.
The wicked far outnumber the righteous,
So that justice has become perverted. ~ Habakkuk 1:2-4 NLT
Hello 612 – 589 BC! – a time in the history of ancient Judah when national sin spelled impending judgement by God. When a historically righteous nation becomes morally indistinguishable from its pagan neighbors, it’s – well, it gets God’s attention.
After much pleading and warning to His people to repent from sin; God plans to send destruction and slavery upon Judah. The prophet Habakkuk complains to God about the evils of Judean society plus God’s impending judgement at the hands of a pagan invader called Babylon. After all, how can God’s plan be just? On the surface of things, there is nothing but sin in both nations!
I ponder these things in our day as well. Our modern culture is rife with the same sins mentioned by Habakkuk:
- Violence – There is virtually no community in our nation that does not have a problem with domestic violence, assault, murder, rape, and even infanticide whitewashed as “abortion”.
- Evil Deeds – The purposeful acts of bullying, torture, theft, fraud, and cruelty, are just a few examples.
- Misery – The widespread use of street drugs, divorce, homelessness, depression, and aimlessness abounds.
- Destruction (War) – Our nation is known as the super cop of the globe. We war with everyone in the name of peace.
- Discontent – Reality TV shows are a gruesome example of elevating family bickering and fighting.
- Moral Paralysis – Where is God’s Church? Sadly, asleep. There is a huge price to pay, Church!
- Court Injustice – Time after time we see judges who give light sentences for heinous crimes. Repeat offenders only escalate the severity of their crimes, i.e. serial or mass murders, school shootings, or human trafficking, .
- Righteous Minority – Back to the Church: it used to be known as the silent majority. Now it is only a voiceless minority while elected officials scream obscenities about our President, Christians, and Jews on the floor of Congress. Christians who stand up for faith in Jesus are being martyred all over the globe while mainstream media is silent. Recently bills have been introduced to make practicing Christianity illegal in our country. Where is God’s Church?
- Perverted Justice – Social norms have flipped. What used to be called right is now wrong. (2 Timothy 3:1-5)
The LORD‘s reply is found in verses 5 – 11 and is a scary descriptive of the conquering Babylon but noticeably God only confirms that,
- YES! He is sending this murderous enemy to conquer Judah.
- AND YES! Babylon is cruel, violent, destructive, haughty, and pagan.
Very bad news for Judah. Habakkuk’s reaction is similar to anyone looking at such a desolate future. He complains again to God.
“Surely, LORD, you do not intend to wipe us out?” ~ verse 12 paraphrased.
Ah, the LORD has more to say about this. Until then, God bless your week and Thank you for following